The air is getting crisp, the leaves crunchy, and the smell of burning wood is already in the air. The Halloween decorations are out, and the holiday decorations will hit the shelves any time now. Fall is in full swing, and winter will be here before we know it! It’s time to prepare your home for winter.
When temperatures drop, your home can be affected. As resilient as your abode may be, a little upkeep may be necessary to ensure that things are in tip-top shape.
First (and most importantly), you want to make sure your HVAC (heating and air conditioning system) is prepped and ready to keep you and your family warm. HEP offers a full diagnosis for $59 – if there’s a problem with your unit, we’ll find it and make a recommendation. Also, quotes for new HVAC units are FREE!
Some other important items to address:
- Check your roof – are all of the shingles intact? You don’t want any water getting through. If you don’t feel comfortable doing it yourself, HEP can help!
- Make sure your gutters are free of debris, so that they don’t get clogged up or frozen.
- Be sure that your sprinkler lines (if you have any) and external faucets are drained so the pipes don’t freeze – which will lead to expansion and potentially bursting.
- Reverse your ceiling fans! Making sure they are spinning clockwise will produce a more efficient heat circulation in your home.
- Make sure your fireplace is clean and free of blockages.
- Check the air filters in your HVAC system and throughout your house.
It’s a fairly simple checklist, but making sure you’ve addressed these items could save you a ton of money. It’s always good to be prepared!
Would you like assistance checking out your HVAC system, roof, or anything else? Maybe you’ve got some questions. Feel free to give us a call at (865) 234-0501 and one of our dedicated customer service representatives will help you with anything you need.